Italy tours

DHE Hydro Team: Building a Furnace

In one of our last blog posts, we discussed how to make a high-quality mold out of fire clay, silica sand, and a special molding box. Yet you can make the most precise mold in the world and ruin it with a mistake in temperature or a bad pour. Several times in our casting history, […]

Read more No Comments

Pyrolyzer Work Team Makes First Moves

A small group meet this afternoon to work on the pyrolyzer. Tasks completed: primary door was made and intended location was marked on barrel holes and round stock was prepared for the grate support to suspend the biomass above the primary air door holes for secondary air were marked with future hole modifications in mind […]

Read more No Comments

Hydropower Project Group: Steps for Amateur Sand Casting

We gave a primitive overview of the casting process in our first blog post, but to further clarify the technique to readers, we decided to prove an in-depth guide.  Online resources for sand casting are hard to come by, and those that exist are mainly semi-professional—far beyond our skill level.  Hopefully, this sand casting guide […]

Read more No Comments

The Drums are In

The Bioenergy Project recently received its delivery for four 55-gallon steel drums for the purposes of making compost tumblers and pyrolysis kilns. The are currently safe and sound in Thayer’s large frame lab but will soon be met with plasma torches and drills next week after our new members have gone through machine safety training. […]

Read more No Comments

Bioenergy Project Winter 2013

The Bioenergy Project is off to a great start this winter term! The fall served as a time of reflection and strategic planning after our back-to-back spring and summer trips. Now that we are on campus for 2013, we are charging ahead with renewed focus on improving our biomass briquetting program and developing biochar production […]

Read more 1 Comment

Hydro Project Group: Buckets Through the Ages

We’ve come a really long way since our first cast, and we wanted to share some of the Hydro buckets that we churned out as we figured out how to sand cast. Bucket 1: As explained in the last blog post, the sand-clay mixture that we used in our casting attempts back in September had […]

Read more No Comments

DHE in the news!

Great piece in this week’s copy of The D about the hydropower group’s on-campus research into sand casting: Stay tuned for an article about this summer’s trip in the next issue of the Dartmouth Engineer!

Read more No Comments

Hydro Project Group: 13W Sand Casting Update

Sand Casting: the process of pouring molten metal into a sand mold to make a metal casting. Purpose This project’s value lies not only in its end product, a working hydropower station for a rural village in Rwanda, but also in its ability to be replicated on-site. Sand casting requires only basic materials: bricks for […]

Read more No Comments

Hydropower Project Review 2012

In the summer of 2008, DHE installed two hydropower sites in a village called Banda. In 2012, DHE installed its third hydropower site in the village of Rugote.

Read more No Comments